When a business undergoes digital transformation, its data becomes critical to every business process. Protecting that data is crucial to ensure that the business is able to function, and data recovery needs to be rapid to minimize disruption to the business’ operations. Using hyperconverged infrastructure with built-in data protection can provide a digitally transformed business with simplified, streamlined recovery procedures that ensure the data-driven business doesn’t lose access to its most important asset.
Challenges to Data Protection in a Data-Driven Business
The dependency on data makes data protection more challenging as well as critical. There are larger amounts of data to be protected, scattered across the cloud, servers, and storage devices, as well as physical and virtual machines. Both recovery time objectives (RTOs) and recovery point objectives (RPOs) are tightened due to the greater impact of loss of data or loss of the ability to use data. Those same factors also mean it’s difficult to take systems offline to perform a traditional backup. In addition, data is copied and used in many different places throughout the organization, making it difficult to track and manage properly.
Simplify Data Protection With Hyperconverged Infrastructure
Hyperconverged infrastructure, like that from Nutanix, brings processing, storage, and networking together into a single, scalable system that’s simpler to support and manage than traditional infrastructure. Integrated data protection features mean this hyperconverged architecture also simplifies the data protection so vital to modern businesses. The built-in data protection isn’t just snapshots, which aren’t adequate for full data protection, but a complete approach to protection that supports snapshots, cloning, replication, and integration with cloud.
Managing data protection in Nutanix is made simple through these features:
- Data protection centered on virtual machines. Simplify your data protection strategy by grouping together VMs that need the same level of data protection. Nutanix also supports multiple hypervisors (Nutanix AHV, VMware vSphere, and Microsoft Hyper-V) and you can apply data protection across all of them. VM-centered snapshots using Read-on-Write don’t require VM to LUN mapping and are more efficient than alternate snapshot strategies.
- One console to review status. The Nutanix console, Prism, offers easy access to all Nutanix control and management functions, including data protection.
- Easily define and distribute policies. Define your data protection strategy in policies. Use APIs and automation to perform every administrative task.
- Minimized, efficient backups. Data reduction limits the number of full data copies and the bandwidth needed to create them. Flexible replication supports one-to-one, one-to-many, and many-to-one strategies. Cloud Connect makes it easy to backup VMs to public cloud sites.
- Reduced downtime and recovery time. Synchronous replication ensures up to date data copies at alternate sites. Automatic failover means almost no downtime. Other recovery strategies require just a couple of clicks in Prism. Self-service file restore means application administrators can perform their own recovery procedures.
Take advantage of hyperconverged infrastructure to simplify your data protection as well as your data center management. dcVAST services can help you deploy, manage, and derive the full benefit of Nutanix hyperconverged infrastructure. Contact us to learn more about making data protection easier with Nutanix.